Interview with Theodoros Kalotinis of THÉO PARFUMS
Following my review of Lily and Gardenia read below my interview with the extremely talented perfumer Theodoros Kalotinis.
A short introduction:
-Theodoros Kalotinis was born in Heraklion, Crete. At just 26 years of age, he created his own brand of handmade perfumes using exceptional natural raw materials from his birthplace and every corner of the earth while discovering his very own exclusive patent for making natural handmade perfumes. His passion for perfumes and scents led him into the world's perfume capital, GRASSE, to study the art of creating perfumes.
What is your first fragrant memory?
- My first fragrant memory is the smell of jasmine from my grandmother’s garden. Jasmine is a mysterious flower, with an almost metaphysical power.
What is the smell that makes you happy and which one you find calming?
- The smell of the rose makes me happy, it raises my pulse! Sometimes I have the impression that I can hear it. Jasmine on the other hand, I find very calming. It offers me a sense of peace and security, difficult to find when you lead a busy city lifestyle.
You collect perfumes; how many bottles do you own and which 5 are your favourite?
- I'm a collector of perfumes since a very young age, so the bottles I own now are more than I care to admit! The truth is that I do not have favourite fragrances but favourite ingredients. Five of those I love are vanilla, patchouli, jasmine, any kind of resin and natural rose.
Which was the first fragrance that was gifted to you?
- Shalimar by Guerlain.
Which was the first fragrance you bought for yourself?
- Chanel Platinum Egoiste.
Which fragrance do you wish you could have created?
Chypre by Coty of Francois Coty
Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Perfume for me is memories and emotions. It is not just a smell, it is a story. Inspiration can come in an unsuspected time and moments of my everyday life can become a source of inspiration.
How long do you need to create a fragrance?
- Depends where I draw my inspiration from. Initially I build the story, in my head and then that same story leads me to scent. I may need a minute up to a whole year.
Which images and experiences do you associate your favourite fragrances with?
- It is really thousands of images I have in my mind right now, but I think I associate more my favourite fragrances with "feelings" and love is my most basic feeling. Of course many smells in my mind reflect familiar people in my life.
What was it that pushed you / helped you take the decision to make your passion a profession?
- First of all my unconditional love for perfumes and the great love and acceptance my creations have received.
How do seasons influence you preference in certain notes?
- The season doesn’t influence my preference so much as my mood does and what I need to express at that specific moment with my perfume. If, for example, I have to attend an important meeting, I would prefer more robust and empowering scents while when I'm close to my friends and family I would choose a sweeter perfume. Our perfume is a key component of the image we want to show other people around us.
What makes your perfumes to stand out from any other?
- The way the production is made I would say. Their ingredients are harvested by hand, one by one, unique raw materials we carefully choose to produce. There are many beautiful and special perfumes on the market and perfumers who love just as much their job. As personality I prefer challenges that will help me move forward and better me. It is very important of course, in addition to a beautiful scent, a story behind it and a huge passion for creation. I need to send messages through my creations. I want to see happy faces, I want to make the world a happier place with my perfume! Utopic, I know, however, I create with this in mind: to paint smiles on people's lips.
Do you wear perfume every day?
-I always wear perfume. If I don’t wear perfume, I feel naked inside and out.
What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- Spending quality time with my loved ones.
You can find more information about THEO PARFUMS :